Saturday, September 14, 2013

Our Canadian Adventure- The Weird Things They Do

We are quickly learning that there are some differences between the US and Canada. I started compiling a list since we're been here (for only two day...ha) and am ready to do part one of the blog post on weird things Canadians do. So here goes! 

1. Their milk comes in bags. The two times we have been to the grocery store I  have laughed until I cried about this. You get four bags per gallon (for you math wizzes, that's a liter of milk in each bag)
You simply by a milk pitcher, pop the bag in it, cut the corner and everything works out just fine! 

2. They tell you the temperature in Celsius. Luckily I have a genius for a husband so I never have to think. Someone tells us the temperature and he whispers it in Fahrenheit to me. :)

3.  Not only is everything in liters vs. gallons, but gas is advertised in cents rather than dollars. Like I said, these people are weird. (And I love it!)
(Yes, once again if you are a math wiz, you realize that our gas is very high)

4. It's not a restroom or a bathroom, it's a washroom. 
(This was a photo from our trip to the public library! Yes, I had to get a library card!)

5. Our landlord handed us a garage key. A what?!? You mean you have to open the garage by hand?! Yep. Luckily amazon sells garage door openers for very inexpensive. I'll be ordering one once I get back to the US and showing these Canadians what luxury is. Who wants to get out in the freezing cold and open a garage by hand?!

6. There are no mailboxes in front of houses. They are all down the street! Luckily ours is only four houses down. 

7. Who needs toilet paper when you can wipe with a Kleenex? Luckily, the stores sell my Cottonelle! :) 

8. Trash. So instead of pick up trash a week like they do in Tuscaloosa, trash comes twice a month. (What the heck am I supposed to do with stinky diapers....ew). Recycling (plastic, paper and aluminum) comes once a week. Compost also comes once a week. So the neighbors tell me with those two bins, we shouldn't have much trash. However, don't have too much trash or you'll be charged. See the sign below we found at the library. 

9. Currency. Of course this is different. You should see me at a store just putting out my hand with all the coins and telling them to take what is due. Haha! I shall learn soon enough. 

10. Phrases
In America, we say "um". In Canada, they say "eh" or "right". In America, we say "about". In Canada, they say "aboot". In America, we say "xyz". In Canada, they say "xy zed". 

That's all for now! Stay tuned as we discover more Canadian-isms!

3 comments:

  1. Weird. Milk in bags? I just can't get over that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I found your blog through a friend and as a Canadian I almost find this post offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this eh! Nice to see ur learning what Canadas all aboot too eh! Lmao!!

    ReplyDelete